My nieces and I were thinking of fun activities to do together when we meet every Friday, and then it hit me.. why not cook?!!!!
They found this really interesting children’s recipe book at Virgin Megastore ’30 Yummy things to Cook and Eat’. What I loved about this recipe book is that it had all sorts of different desserts that even us adults would enjoy eating, but then again licking Nutella off a spoon is FUN to me! (I’m easy to please)
We decided to go for the Strawberry Trifle, the perfect choice for a hot summer afternoon mmhmmm…
All the recipes on the book do require some sort of adult help & supervision which I personally love because it allows us to interact and work together instead of having the kids do everything alone.
Strawberry Trifle Recipe
You will need: Boxed Pound Cake – Strawberry Jam – Apple Juice – Whipped Cream – Lemon Zest of one lemon – Vanilla Essence – Milk – Caster Sugar
1) Slice the pound cake in half, top one half with strawberry jam and sandwich the cake back together. Cut into small cubes and place in a bowl.
2) Slice the strawberries in quarters and mix them with the cubes of cake in the bowl.
3) Add 3 – 4 TBSP of Apple Juice (or until you feel the cake is moist)
4) Cover the bowl with cling wrap and refrigerate while you prepare your whipped cream.
5) Mix 2 cups of whipped cream – 2 TBSP milk – Lemon Zest – 1 TSP Vanilla Essence – 2 TBSP Caster Sugar (With the Mixer on High) until stiff peaks form.
6) Top the Cake & Strawberry mixture with the Whipped Cream, Decorate with Strawberries and pop in the fridge till serving time.
I personally loved the taste of the lemon zest in the whipped cream with the strawberries and subtle hints of apple, it was fresh & fruity & messy (just the way I like my desserts to be). If you’re feeling experimental I suggest you add other types of berries in the mix as well and have a mixed berry trifle!!! yummmerz.
My nieces licked their plates clean and asked for leftovers to take home as well. I’m looking forward to see what they decide to cook next week..